Saturday, April 07, 2007

Pronouncifications and Stuff

This may be my last entry for a little while. We check out of the hotel tomorrow and I don't know when we'll get back online at the duplex... it will be soon, though, because I'll need connectivity to perform job searches and file my unemployment.

We went by the duplex this morning and dropped off the kids. We went out to run some errands and were heading to the bank to open a checking account when Shelly remembered that her cell battery had gone dead last night. We plugged it into the car charger for a couple of minutes, then turned it back on - there were two VM messages. Both messages were from the driver.

We had previously made arrangements with the driver to have the stuff dropped off on Sunday - Yes, we were aware that it is Easter Sunday. The phone messages said, "I'll be there at 1:30 for delivery." I called him back and got his voice mail. My question to him was, "1:30 TODAY?"

We had just enough time to open the account, drive back to the duplex, and crate the kitties before he showed up. There were a couple of items he had needed to shuffle around in the truck and were mixed in with his next drop-off. He was supposed to come back by but there wasn't anything where he was supposed to drop them when we returned from a dinner with the wife's new boss.

We haven't signed any of his paperwork so he has to contact us tomorrow. If we don't sign, he don't get paid.

The duplex is about half the size of our house. Our bed barely fits in one of the rooms. We'll make it work but I have a feeling most if not all of the stuff I bring back from Oklahoma in a few weeks will be going into storage. I'm also definitely rethinking many of the things I decided I was going to keep but left behind. I'm also rethinking many of the items I didn't leave behind.

The good news is that when we check out tomorrow, we've got a real bed to sleep in tomorrow night. Of course, we may spend most of tomorrow looking for sheets...

A bit of mild culture shock has already occurred. This area has a town, a street and a waterfall names Shoshone. I come from Indian Territory (literally) and we pronounce that shə-shō'-nee. Around here, they pronounce it shə-shōn'. It hurts my ears when they say it. It will always be pronounced like the Indian tribe to me.

The second item is the pronunciation of Boise. I've grown up hearing it as boy'-zee. It's actually pronounced with a soft S, like boy'-see. If pronounced properly, it almost sounds like a Z but not quite. Many people pronounce it with a hard S.

That's it for now. I'll check in again when we get connected at the duplex. Of course, we have to figure out where to setup the computer, too.

No comments: