Monday, October 15, 2007

He's Gone

Tissue Alert!

Jack Daniel passed about an hour after I wrote my last post. We had gone to bed about 10:15 and heard him cry out around 10:30. I rushed to his side but there was nothing I could do. I don't know if he was aware of my presence or not, but I hope he was because it was the only thing I could give him.

There is a 24-hour vet hospital on the far West side of town. We just returned from dropping off his body. We will be bringing his ashes home with us. Had I realized it was a 24/7 clinic, I might have brought him there sooner so it didn't have to be like this. I feel very sad and somewhat guilty right now. We are both very raw from this.

When we returned home, Teddy was whimpering at the door. I knew he wanted his brother back and was upset that he'd been taken away. He went toward the back door but only stayed out a few seconds to confirm that JD was not in the back yard. He made a search of the house and kept coming back to me as if to ask where I had hidden him. He made a big effort of sniffing the blanket JD had been on. I was sad that I could not bring his brother back to him.

No comments: