Monday, October 15, 2007

Musings

It's been a rough few weeks around here. Last night was an exclamation point - a big, bold, italicized exclamation point - somewhere in the paragraph that is this time of my life. It could be much worse. Those closest to me know why. Sorry I can't share it with all of you.

Life moves forward. I don't know if I mentioned it but I signed the papers accepting the job offer in Oklahoma City and sent them off. I've made several arrangements for the move and there are several more to make. I make progress every day on packing. Today was a big day. The room I'm sitting in right now is practically empty save for the computer, its associated peripherals and a hotel-style writing desk too big to place in the garage right now.

Tomorrow, I tackle the spare bedroom. We weren't actively using it so there isn't much that needs to be packed - at least, I don't think so - but I need to move the treadmill out and pack up several small items. Moving the treadmill involves removing the arms and not reattaching them until I reach the garage.

Speaking of the garage, it's getting quite full. I'm moving as much out there as I can to help expedite the loading process next Thursday. I have no concept of the capacity of a 26-foot U-Haul (although, I know you can get a small, single-engine plane in one - I've seen the pictures) so with each box and each piece of furniture, I wonder if it is all going to fit. It is for this reason, in part, that I hired a couple of people from a local moving company (via emove.com) to assist with loading the truck. I figure they'll pack it in tighter than I possibly could and will pack it safer than I possibly could.

Life has become very surreal over the past few weeks. A lot of my previous perceptions have been deconstructed. Things that used to matter a lot are no longer as important and things I used to take for granted are of the utmost importance to me. There has been a lot of stress. There have been a lot of tears. Life moves us toward a new, but familiar, destination. It will be an adventure, to be certain. Life always is. But the sense of excitement, wonderment and anticipation are absent this time around. Maybe I just didn't get enough sleep, I'm tired, and I'm rambling... could go either way.

In the midst of all of this, I saw a sign someone had made. It read, "He never said it would be easy. Just that it would be worth it." I think I'm going to hang on that one for a while.

Stay safe, everybody, and I'll see you soon.

No comments: