Saturday, July 04, 2009

Strong At Six

It was a little over six years ago. I was at Trek Expo and one of the guests was Wil Wheaton. I never thought much of Wesley Crusher so I wasn't exactly excited that he was on the guest list. I went to his talk and was totally blown away. He was funny, he was engaging, and he was nothing like Wesley Crusher.

One of the major activities he focused on during his talk was his blog. At the time, I had only the vaguest idea of what a blog was (okay, I'd heard the word but that was about it). As he read excerpts from his online journal, I became more and more intrigued. I had started journaling several times but never stuck to it because, in my head, I was writing for an audience. I never stuck with any of the journals because I had an audience of zero. There was nobody to share things with so it was no fun.

Shortly after the convention was over, I began to explore this blog thing. I found that there was free blog hosting with free blogging tools and happened to land on Blogger. I've heard some malign Blogger as the AOL of blogging but I've been pretty happy.

At first, Blogger had some reliability problems. It was quite easy to navigate away from the editor and lose everything you typed. It also often hiccupped when you hit publish with the same deleterious effects. That's exactly what happened to my first post... it just went away into the great bit-bucket in the sky. The original name, I believe (hey, you're asking me to remember what my thoughts were during about an hour period that occurred six years ago, gimme a break), was Star Trek Memories or something similarly lame but after my truly inspired eloquence (seriously, it was a good) disappeared, thus was born The Internet Ate My Homework.

Over the years, Blogger has become more reliable and they have added many features and many tools. Overall it's been a good run and I'm quite happy to stick with them. I've thought about moving my blog to my own space but had trouble moving the comments with it and realized that, should I decide to stop paying for my hosting service and shut down unclebubby.com, my blog goes with it.

The past six years have had their ups and downs. I've found my voice and lost my voice. I've been too busy to blog and I've had time to be voluminously verbose. I've told some wonderful stories, I've done a few drive-bys, and I've even phoned it in a few times. Let's take a look back over the past six years and see what gems we find, shall we?

And that, my friends, brings us to today. Six years. It amazes me that I have been doing this for that long.

One thing I noticed as I was compiling this list. For the first three years, I was telling stories. Then, I was just bitching about work for the most part. After that what I wrote about was in the now. Finally, I think I've come back to what I wanted this to be and will start telling stories once again.

Thank you, everyone who has been with me and those who have just found me. Here's to many more years to come.

No comments: